Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Home

I get to go home this weekend! I mean home, home to Delta, UT where I grew up. Although I haven't had much desire to go there, I really loved growing up there. Our days were spent having so much fun on our grandpa's farm. We fed baby pigs and cows, played in the corrals, rode horses, jumped off hay stacks, sledded down mountains of snow, swam in the ditches, ate food out of our huge garden, played trolls in our waterfall, and hunted for worms to go fishing.

I learned how to play softball, volleyball, basketball, soccer, and many other various sports our parents introduced us to. I grew up with some great friends whom I have since lost touch with for the most part (although modern social networking sites have helped a bit).

I loved to go hunting with my mom and dad and I learned to shoot a gun from a very early age- something most people probably don't know about me. I was the best shot in my hunter's safety class (full of boys).

We used to go pine nut hunting every year...we even had pine nut hunting clothes because you get so sticky. Then we would come home and sort through all of them and roast them. They were so yummy!

Before Christmas we would go up the canyon with a bunch of friends and build a fire, go sledding, and find the perfect Christmas tree. My parents even let us cut down our own miniature Christmas tree for our room (probably illegal:).

We grew up surrounded by our cousins, which was so much fun. Something I am sad that Dax won't get to experience with my side of the family.

There used to be frogs that lived under our porch and every year we would get tadpoles in our waterfall/pond in the backyard. I loved to watch them grow up.

I loved to go fishing when I was younger and in third grade I took fish eyes to school for show and tell. My teacher wasn't so happy.

I learned how to drive a stick shift and a tractor at the age of 12 or 13 and was allowed to drive my Suzuki Samurai over to my friends' houses when I was 14.

The reservoir was a hot spot in the summer and we visited often. I had many birthday parties there. It is kind of gross because it is a small reservoir, but we didn't care. We had so much fun, anyway.

In short, I loved my childhood in Delta, Utah, and I can't wait to go home!

11 comments:

Katy said...

That was so fun to learn about you. Thanks for sharing. I'm so glad you get to go home this weekend. We are way excited to see you. Call us so we can plan what we are doing:) Yay!!

Raising Helm said...

I am so excited for you! I new you were connected to Delta. I always wonder what people do with pine nuts. sounds delightful! love the fish eyes for show and tell and your safety class. way to go country girl. I will wave as we drive past this weekend. I love ya!

Ashley said...

That was so fun to hear about. While I didn't grow up anywhere near there, I do have fond memories of visiting. Especially Thanksgiving time...walking into grandma's back porch, and seeing all of her apple pies lined up! This last visit, while under difficult circumstances, was a wonderful one. We had such a great time seeing family, and reminising watching old reunion videos at Uncle Mikes. I hope you have a good time going home to visit, and it was really fun to read that post about you!
P.S. My mom was hoping I could get your home Address from you so she could send you a christmas card. Could you email it to me? thanks

Henderson said...

Delta! What fun memories. I still remembering visiting your family in Delta (on our way back from Vegas?) in high school. Sounds like a super fun place to grow up!

Derrick and Rachel said...

So fun reading that...most of which I knew nothing about! What a great childhood. I hope you have a great time at Home, and have a great Thanksgiving. We love and miss you guys!

Tyler and Jill said...

I am so mad that I didn't know you know how to shoot a gun. How did I NOT know that?!?!?! That sounds like a fun childhood. And yes I am here to say you have a really good arm when playing softball. You were a third baseman for a reason!

Lindsey and Joe said...

i can see the gun thing! In a good way of course!

smithsonthemove said...

That was really neat to read. It is amazing how much we really don't know about each other!
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Ariel said...

Yea Delda!

Liz Szilagyi said...

Jesse! What a great post. Delta really was the best place to grow up. Your little guy is so cute. Is he always happy? Seems to be. Those pictures of him in his little rocking chair (I think that is what it was) are too cute.

tsmortensen said...

I loved reading your post Jesse. It brought back so many fun memories of visiting for holidays! I hope you have a great visit!