Saturday, June 19, 2010

Epiphany

Sometimes I tell myself that I am not very good at being a stay at home mom. Then I think to myself that I was very good at my job; why can't I be good at this? It doesn't make me depressed or anything; they are just thoughts that run through my mind. Please don't misread this for a plea for compliments, I don't wish to receive any. I am simply sharing my epiphany with you.

While I was making dinner today, the thought came to me that I am a good teacher (in my own mind) because I went to school for 4 years. Even after going to school for 4 years, I still wasn't where I wanted to be. It wasn't until last year that I felt like I was finally the type of teacher that I wanted to be (with room for improvement of course!). That means it took 8 years of hard work for me to really feel like I was a good teacher.

Let's hope it doesn't take me 8 years to become a good stay at home mom, :) but I now understand that it isn't just going to happen. I think I've been waiting and waiting for me to all of the sudden - POOF - become good at staying home: good at planning meals, good at keeping the house clean, good at budgeting our money, good at cooking healthy meals. It doesn't happen like that. Being good at staying home, like any job, is essentially a talent. You have to learn all you can and practice to develop it.

SO...today I have been working really hard at educating myself on how to organize my somewhat new-to-me life. I have already learned so much from reading other peoples' stories and great friends. Here's to becoming a "well-educated" stay at home mom!

Like I said, I am not fishing for compliments, just sharing a moment with someone/anyone because let's face it, talking to myself gets old after a bit. :) I will, however, take any tips or helpful hints you might want to offer!

9 comments:

Natalie Smith said...

Man! For me it goes day to day and week to week - sometimes I feel like our home is organized and easy to keep on a schedule, meals are ready and fun has happened, but then other days (or weeks...like this past one!) I feel like I have so much more too do to get to the point I feel like I can call myself a success. It's exactly like you said you just pick what area you are going to do better at and focus on doing that and after a bit change the focus and KEEP ROTATING! :) When I figure out what works 100% for me I will surely post the solution on my blog! ha ha

Rachel and John said...

I completely hear you. I tell myself that one day I'll be really good at this. Of course, by then, I'll probably be helping Daschel with his kids. But that's the point, keep working hard, learn more everyday, pass it on. Right? And by the way, you are a FANTASTIC mom.

Angie said...

Totally love this post, I've totally been there. Like I expect after 2 years I'm supposed to have mastered this mom thing. Man, I hear you and I love your epiphony. So true. Let's try and remind each other of this from now on. Thanks!

smithsonthemove said...

All I can say is that your kids love you early in the morning when you have no makeup on and morning breath. They still think you are the best thing ever. So I guess we do something right! :)

Katy said...

I love you!!! If you get any good advice pass it my way. I'm still trying to figure out the whole stay-at-home routine;) Some days are better than others though... Sorry I had to hang up on you today. Brian the little stinker. Fortunately he didn't have a shoe on when he kicked Max in the face:) (I try and look for the positive things in life!)

Raising Helm said...

Sigh! you crack me up. I am happy to hear that others feel the same way. Do tell, how does one educate themselves on such tasks? I am a constant rollercoaster lately (prego brain doesn't help) But I did have a good mom moment today-The boys totally helped me with laundry and I let them. It was beautiful-Steve told me to make sure I look into the child labor laws :) Oh goodness, we do the best we can huh. love ya!

Raising Helm said...

BTW-DO you remember a Court Morris from Delta? He married one of my good friends from high school. Some how I connected the whole Delta thing and he remembered you.

courtney said...

Hey girl - your a great SAHM! Go to www.flylady.com. She was a lifesaver for me when I was staying home. Also I learned alot from reading blogs from uber-christian women..if you can weed out the subservient, christian doormat paraphanilia...they really have awesome ways of getting things done! I have a ton of links if you'd like.

Teranne said...

What a great epiphany. I often think I am really lacking in my homemaking skills and mothering nature. I appreciate your thoughts on it, it gives me a different perspective... maybe I'm learning to be a mom at the same time my kids are learning too. And I would assume Heavenly Father planned it that way... or He messed up His advertising because I've never heard of a "learn to be a mom" degree... (; where's that school... maybe it's church.

Thanks for your thought!